Thursday, February 17, 2011

First Day! Alexandra Ríos

It is very fitting to say that today was a long day. The group arrived at the house somewhere around 1:00 am which we soon came to learn that in our time (MA) was actually 2:00 am, so we were all pretty tired. When we arrived at the house we met the director of the place where we are staying, The United Saints. He was friendly and talkative. We were given a tour of the facilities which, from what I hear from the people who have participated in this service trip before, are really accommodating. Just by being here one day I agree with this.
We soon went to bed after this only to wake up at 6:50 am because breakfast is a 7:00 am. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so we cannot miss it! We started the day bright and early with introductions. It was decided that the first day we would have a tour around the places where this trip had worked in the previous years. During this time I realized the real importance of what it is that we do here. I finally saw all this places I have always seen only in pictures and we saw "Mama Gaines", someone Ive exceedingly heard about since the first meeting the group had.
After this tour it was time to work. I got to work at the Second Harvest Food Bank and not only was it as great as everyone said it would be but it was really fun. We spent at least two hours distributing food and working with these fast paced conveyor belts. We had to be alert and quick at all times, but it turned out to be extremely fun.
Dinner was great! We had tacos!! Like the facilities, the people from the previous years were commenting on how food is better that the last year. Now that we were all at the house again, fed and happy, the only thing we had to do was kill time. We had lots of fun playing basketball, football and exploring the neighborhood. I am really glad I am part of this trip with all these people whom I am proud to call my friends and second family.
I'm excited for tomorrow and I believe this whole experience is going to change all of us and make us better individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment