Monday, February 21, 2011

Where I need to Be--Laurel Haines

Today I was working at David Leonard's house. We had a relatively large group there, and we were all scraping, sanding, cleaning, priming...and doing whatever needed to be done for the final coat of purple paint to be put on the house. Although I had a great time and a lot of fun, I felt frustrated. I pondered for awhile and was not about to find the source of my unhappiness. However, I realized that I felt so so so insignificant. There are so many houses demolished by hurricane Katrina...and so many houses that aren't even houses; they are just empty concrete slabs where a house once stood. I see these things and so much more and I wish I am so much bigger than I am... That way I could make a bigger difference. But I can't...I am who I am and I am where I am. It was hard for me to paint today for some reason because I kept thinking about all the other empty slabs. The city could fine a house for having an unsatisfactory paint job. But then I think of the houses half rotten with no paint jobs. I wish I could be so many places at once. They all need help. David Leonard and his family still needed us to repaint their house. People keep saying to me this week that you are where you need to be. I needed to be there...and there....and there...oh and there too. I just can't though...but I was where I needed to be...which was helping. One house at a time is all anyone can do, and helping in one way or another is what we are here to do. I am not a superhero, nobody is unfortunately. So I just try to work to do whatever needs to be done. Well, that was the epiphany I had today. I am so overjoyed that our group is here working together, doing whatever we can no matter what. Not once have i heard someone say that they can't do that because-oh it's gross, or nope too hard. So thank you everyone for all your hard work, determination and teamwork. Together we can make a difference despite the fact that we are all only one individual. We are where we need to be which is now in the present helping, so thank you everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment