Thursday, February 17, 2011

First Impressions - Margaret (not Meg, not Maggie)

I really wasn't sure what to write about when Mr. Kane asked me to write one of the first blog posts as a new member of the New Orleans trip who had never been before. "First impressions," he said, and Gwen suggested I write about what I'm expecting.

The plane was stressful, and my ears popped very painfully during the landing and for about two hours afterward. Only a few of us had ear pain that extreme. I'm thinking about asking for these ear pressurizer things Marc told me about for the flight home. That'd be easier than dealing with the popping again. But our flight time, aside from a tiny bit of turbulence, was painless. Yes, it was stressful because everyone was in a hurry and everyone was cramped all in the back of an airplane together for hours. But the flight was a half hour ahead of schedule, and the wait in Newark wasn't long at all, and even though airport food is so overpriced, it tasted good. But I definitely would say that landing in New Orleans was a relief after an entire day of going, going, going.

New Orleans is really warm, and honestly that was the first impression I got as I got off the plane. I don't think anything else really registered, because the area we were in looked like any regular city. I don't know what I was expecting - but where we landed didn't look that bad. I'm pretty sure it's because we were in a very busy area that requires upkeep. But it made me think how easy it could be for people to ignore the problem, ignore the fact that in some places there is going to be devastation. I've seen pictures from previous trips, I know.

Slowly, I've been realizing more and more that I'm actually here. It didn't start right away, it was very surreal. I got off the plane and still, did not realize the magnitude of what we were doing. I got on the shuttle bus, crammed in tight with other NM students, and still did not realize we were really here.

I think my awakening came when the second shuttle from the airport showed up at the car rental place where half of us were waiting and involved in an intense game of frisbee. A family got off of the shuttle, and a man was talking to Mr. Kane. He was saying that what we were doing was incredible, saying thank you. (Mr. Kane makes friends wherever he goes, I've noticed) And then when he got off the shuttle, this man turned to all of us standing around and said thank you, said what we were doing was really amazing, and said that the whole would would be impacted by people like us.

It was really powerful to hear that from someone who we didn't even know, but I've been informed that this is the norm. People will come up to us and thank us for what we're doing, since it's because of groups like us that things are actually getting better. And that made it real, more than anything. For the first time, that very first night, I saw first hand that we can make a difference just by being here to help.

Since then I've been feeling more and more that I'm really, truly, here. And it's exciting. I've journaled six pages so far, I've met a few people - Alex even met the pastor of the church we're staying at. I'm so excited to be here. I'm trying to push away all hesitations and just go headfirst into anything I'm asked to do. I think what I want to do more than anything is get to know the people I'm helping, hear their stories. Because that way I can share them, and bring even more people down here to make a difference.

It's kind of hard to believe it's only the first morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment