Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Road I've Traveled - Sean Cunningham

In the past three years, service learning has overtaken my life in the most positive way possible. This being my last year, I have tried to make the best of it. So today, I took a look back and asked myself, have I fulfilled my initiative? I worked tirelessly throughout the day, still struggling with the question I had proposed upon myself. Have I done all I could to make a difference?
The answer was not made clear right away. Digging the stumps up at the Latino Farmer's Coop so a single man could support friends and family with fresh foods and vegetables was exhausting. But, like the saying goes, we all put our blood, sweat, and tears into the day (quite literally at some points). Although we were all very tired, we felt proud to have worked so hard in order to help this one man make his own difference in the world. So the question came up again, has my work had the impact I strive for?
Reflecting on the entire week, from food banks to farming to painting and digging, the answer became clear. The answer? No. As I recall all of the places I've worked these past years as well as all the people's stories I've heard I realize I could never possibly reach my initiative. The fact is the world isn't perfect and there is a lot of work to be done to better it. I will never be done with what I have started along the road less traveled. But, all I can do is try. Keep the service going, maintain an open mind, and always remember those who motivate, inspire, and push us to make that difference. By doing so, my personal challenge will become more clear everyday.
Before service learning, I never really did much. I was never really any good at sports and I definitely sing or play an instrument. So when my brother pushed me into this whole new world of community service, it changed me. I could not be who I am today without the experiences I've had and the people who have shared their stories with me. As one man said to us, I am because we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment